10.28.2012

5 hour 5k

One way I got into running was because of my dad. He had me running 5ks with him in elementary school. One race we ran about 15 years ago was in Gladstone, MI. The only thing I remember about it was when we went for lunch afterward. We walked into a cafe and people stopped mid-eat to stare at us. Now, 15 years later, Dad called to see if I wanted to do the 5k again. It wasn't the same one, but it was in Gladstone again. Also, this is Dad's first 5k in six years. In order to run this on time, we had to leave Bessemer at 4:30 a.m.

Note to self: do not let Dad drive without making sure he has directions. When we got to Crystal Falls, he says, "Oh, I know a little short cut." This short cut added a good half hour to our already 3 1/2 hour drive.

We got to the race and it was about 30 degrees and windy. I ran 32:34, which for me is good. My last one in September was 36:01. I just want improvement. My dad tore his hamstring so he had to walk/jog. This I must add was the most unorganized event. The people were very nice, but it was strange. (Grand Slam 5k). They did all of the cleanup and then announced the awards, so we all had to stand in the windy, cold weather waiting to hear results, which were messed up. This resulted in that "chilled to the bone" feeling.

We then went to eat a sandwich at Culver's and they had cold air blowing on us. It was quite miserable. Now, this is when it gets good. As we left, I was grading papers and reading kids' essays while Dad was driving us home. He missed highway 2 and took us to Menominee, which is about 1 1/2 hours out of our way. When I saw a sign for Peshtigo/GreenBay I knew he was in the wrong. Yet, because he's a stubborn Finn, it took him some time to turn around. Also, the GPS on his phone wasn't working.

No matter what, it was an adventure. I love you so much Dad and we had fun, despite the 9 hours of driving. We could've been in North Dakota, but instead we went to Gladstone, MI, and never left the u.p. Father/Daughter bonding at its finest!
I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure we have this same picture 15 years ago.


















No comments:

Post a Comment