12.30.2012

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches

All this time off at Christmas really makes me long for summer vacation when I can actually enjoy cooking and blogging, but since it's basketball season and the school year, that gets shoved to the back burner. I'm lucky if I even read a book once a month. Let's just say that this week was much-needed. Another recipe I've been meaning to try is this pulled pork from November's Food Network magaine. I'm not usually a huge pork fan, but after this dinner tonight, I longed for more and more and more.

So here it goes:

3 T. light brown sugar
2 t. hot paprika (I used cayenne)
1 t. mustard powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 3-4 lb boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat (I left it on for flavor)
2 t. vegetable oil (I used olive)
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar (I used 1/4 c. apple cider, 1/8 red wine, 1/8 white because I ran out :) )
3 T. tomato paste*
6 potato buns
Barbecue sauce and prepared cole slaw, for serving (I didn't have the coleslaw)

1. Combine 1 T. brown sugar, the paprika, mustard powder, cumin, 2 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper in a small bowl. Rub the mixture on the pork.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the pork and cook, turning until browned on all sides-- 5 min total.
3. Remove pork, set on a plate, add 1/4 c. water into the drippings and whisk.
4. Transfer liquid to a 5 - 6 qt. slow cooker.
5. Add the vinegar, tomato paste, the remaining 2 T brown sugar, and 2 c. water to the slow cooker. Whisk to combine, add the pork, cover, and cook for 8 hours.
6. Remove the pork and set on a cutting board.
7. Pour slow cooker liquid into a pot and bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, until reduced by half. Season with salt, if desired. (I didn't).
8. Scoop one cup of cooking liquid and the pork back into slow cooker and serve.

Calories: 508 cal; 20 fat; 152 cholesterol; 1270 sodium; 31 carbohydrate; 3 figer; 49 protein**
* If you ever need 1-2 T of tomato paste (very rarely do we use a whole can), take the excess, measure out tablespoons and place in a plastic bag and freeze for future use--viola.
** This is including the coleslaw, which I didn't use and it depends on what you choose for buns.
I used spicy Sweet Baby Rays. Also, served with broccoli in a beer cheese sauce from FN (it was not very good and not worth posting the recipe)
Poooork!

No comments:

Post a Comment