7.30.2013

Cold Summer Hot Soup

Since this has been an overall cold summer, I've been craving fall dishes in July. I had a lot vegetables that needed to be used before they were on the verge of rot and fruit flies, so I made this veggie soup. 
Also all you savers, I throw my veggies in the freezer for soups and stirfrys. Anyone else do this? 

Needed foods:
5 c beef broth (5 c water & 5 t. better than beef bouillon base)
1/2 c red wine
1/2 white onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 c broccoli
2 c. Kale 
1c mushrooms
3/4 c carrots
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 c. cooked orzo
Spices ( s&p, garlic powder, celery salt-- already so much flavor from the foods in this)
 

1.Chop all veggies 
2.Heat oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. When oil is soaked up, deglaze with wine.
3. Add mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, and kale. Heat through
4. Add orzo

I have never used orzo before and it was a nice addition to the soup to bulk it up since it is meat free. This can easily be made vegetarian (sub vegetable broth), paleo friendly and add chicken or beef and get rid of the pasta.. The possibilities are endless when you're cooking by cleaning out your fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment