9.08.2012

Road Rash

School's in session and the daily blog posting is definitely a thing of the past. I'm just too busy running, grading, actually working, cooking, etc. You know, all the daily things that keep us too busy to call old friends, run errands, and do laundry.

Today's post is about another run gone bad. Today I was to set out for my 7-miler. As I left my driveway, I thought, this is it. This is going to be my good run. Shin splints? Gone. Sore feet? Gone. I've been able to go on the elliptical for 50 minutes without a problem. If I only knew how this would end....

As I was a mile in, I heard a loud gun shot and it scared the hell out of me. I turned and saw a hunter on the side of the road who then slowly lowered himself into the brush near the ditch and I looked to make sure I wasn't being hunted like Bambi's mother. When I turned my head, I rolled my ankle and fell to the side of the road, scraping my hand and whole leg. Instead of stopping, turning around, and going home, I pressed on. Like Angela Davis, I was on the run.

At mile 5, my lungs were starting to get tired, but then the torrential rain started to drop and stung the cuts on my leg. And then my knight in shining armor showed up to get me only to find: a soaking wet girlfriend with blood running down her legs and gasping for air. Half marathon? Bring it on..I outran a madman hunter :) Or, swiftly sauntered away.

No comments:

Post a Comment