7.25.2012

A Meat and Potatoes Man


Shepard's pie is this insanely delicious, 50s style meal that the English came up with. This meat pie typically has lamb, gravy, and mashed potatoes--creating the perfect northern meal. Since Super One doesn't have a large supply of lamb, I used ground beef. This can be also coined as Cottage Pie. This is a Shannon Recipe which means things are measured in abouts, maybes, pinches, heaps, etc. Sorry, I don't measure. You can look up a true Shepherd's Pie, but that's definitely not what this is. So, for the Shan version, follow along:

Here's what 'cha need:
* 2 lb. baby red potatoes-chopped
* a few splashes of milk (for mashed potatoes)
* butter for potatoes about a tablespoon or more if you like buttery potatoes
* half of a large yellow onion
* 4-5 cloves of garlic (depending on your love for garlic)
* a good sized pinch of rosemary, parsley, thyme, pepper
* 1 lb. of ground beef 
* 2 c. chopped and thawed frozen dinner veggies (green beans, zucchini, broccoli, squash, cauliflower, carrots, peas, tomatoes)-- really whatever you have leftover/in the freezer
* 1 1/4 c. water mixed with a heaping tsp. of beef better than bouillon base)
* 4-5 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (I always add cheese)
* a few splashes of olive oil
* a good tablespoon of flour

I'm pretty sure my picture is missing a few things: cheddar, milk, spices, potatoes-- I'm super super organized, but when it comes to the kitchen, I'm rushed, disheveled, and always put my apron on AFTER I spill something.

Whatcha do:

1. Start by making your mashed potatoes: add them to boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes-- until tender enough your fork slips right through one of them. Once cooked, drain and mash with butter and milk/cream. Set aside
2. Preheat oven to 400
3. As potatoes are boiling, saute onion about 1-2 minute and then add garlic, then spices (rosemary, thyme, pepper)
4. Add beef and brown, until no longer pink
5. add veggies-- cook a few minutes to absorb some flava'
6. sprinkle on flour and mix in
7. add broth and let thicken ( I wish I had dry red win to use, mmm)
8. Once thick, place on the bottom of a 2 q baking dish (I used circle, but of course there is no prejudice against the equal sided)
9. Layer on mashed potatoes
10. Sprinkle top with cheddar and parsley
11. Bake until a crisp mashed potato forms (about 30-40 minutes).

Before
After (hey, my pics are starting to improve)
I served this by itself; it already has everything: starch, protein, veg. I did go that "extra mile" and pour a glass of milk for Mr. X. He does work long days after all.

Never mind, we're back to blurry. Also,  how do you like my grandma's kitchen cottage plates? This is why people get married- for nice plates.

Voila!
This makes about 5-6 (small), 4 (large) or 2 (teenaged-boy size) servings.
Bang for your buck: $8ish and that's probably high. I usually buy my ground sirloin in family packs so it works out to about $3 a pound. I also got the veggies on sale for $1. This works out to $1.50-4 a plate depending on who is eating and how much. We definitely had leftovers for two. So if you have a hungry family of four, I suggest you buy some more meat (and potatoes of course) or serve with a few side dishes and you'll be ok.

Calories/fat: 2361/94.42 in the whole container. I didn't account for splashes of milk, spices, garlic...this is a rough estimate. Depending on servings, you do the math :)

No comments:

Post a Comment