7.29.2012

Opera-in-the-Park Raspberry Bars (Penzeys)

My cousin just got married yesterday and as a wonderful, helpful cousin, I offered to make a dessert for the treat table. I had a recipe that I tore out of a Penzey's catalogue for raspberry bars and they were quite delish. And as I am very clumsy, they never made it to the wedding. On our way, I realized I forgot to put on deodorant, only to have to turn around (too quickly since we were late) and when Mr. X turned that wheel, the bars went flying and landed on the floor of the truck. I at least got to taste them and they were delectable. Sorry Mom for picking all those berries. This was about 5 hours of lost time between the berry-picking and bar-making.



Must Haves:

Crumb Layers
1 1/2 c. oats (old-fashioned)
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda

Filling
3 1/2 c. raspberries
2 T raspberry enlightenment (did not have this, sorry Penzeys)
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1/3 c. oats
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon


1. In a bowl, mix crumb ingredients.
2. Press 2/3 of mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.
3. In a saucepan, combine filling ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
4. Preheat oven to 350.
5. Remove from heat and let cool until slightly warm.
6. Spread filling over the bottom layer in the pan.
7. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
8. Bake for 40 minutes, until center bubbles (I had to bake 50 minutes).



Nutrition: serves 24
1 bar: 230 cal, 9 fat, 20mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 35g carb, 2g dietary fiber, 2g protein

Cost: $11.50 (That's if berries are about $3). This probably cost me about $1.50 since my mom picked raspberries from her yard for me to make these.


No comments:

Post a Comment