7.20.2012

Best. Crust. Ever.

This is a picture of my favorite pizza crust I came across. I can thank Kyle Phillips from About.com for the delicious crust recipe. Very, very simple, no fructose, and extremely tasty. Just make sure you make it about an hour ahead to let it rise properly. This makes 2 crusts.

Needs:
3 1/2 c. flour
1 pkg. active dry yeast (1/4 oz)
1/4 t. salt
1 1/3 c. warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 T olive oil

Doing:
1. Pour water in a bowl and sprinkle yeast on top, stir, and let it get semi-bubbly. Let sit 10 min.
2. Mix flour and salt in another bowl
3. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture
4. Add oil
5. Knead for 6-10 minutes ( I usually last about 7).
6. Coat dough in olive oil and coat, yet another bowl in oil. Cover with Saran Wrap and let sit for an hour to rise and double in size. ( Yes, I know it rhymes. Me= lyrical gangsta)
7. Mold onto your pan
             add your favorite sauce (I usually blend tomatoes, garlic, basil, sugar, and salt)
             add cheese and topping
(Pictured above I have fresh mozzarella, mushrooms, prosciutto, and basil)
Bake at 475 for only 15 minutes.
This is by far my favorite pizza; it reminds me of Italy sans wood oven. The fresh mozzarella is much stretchier and watery, but this pizza tastes fresh, chewy, and amazing.

I'm going to say this crust probably costs $1 (not even). The yeast is about a quarter and the flour is cheap. This makes 2 pizza crusts, which you could freeze. Now, much cheaper than getting a $5 Boboli crust from the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment