7.27.2012

Zucchini Bread Done Right

My friend Re has zucchini comin' our her ears from her garden and she just posted roughly one million ideas on what to do with all that green. I recieved one zucchini from my boyfriend's mom and going out of town, I knew Mr. X would let that thing rot. So, I decided to make some bread. Thanks Eating Well.

Needs:
3/4 c low fat milk (I used Slender Soy vanilla)
2 eggs
3/4 c sugar
1/3 cup canola oil (I used light olive oil)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. shredded zucchini (1 large)
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt (I eliminated this)
1/2 c. chocolate chips (I used dark)

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a large bowl, mix milk, eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla
3. add zucchini
4. In another bowl, mix  flour, powder, cinnamon.
5. Combine bowls and fold in choc. chips.
6. Bake for 1 hour in a greased bread pan (9x5)

Yum Yum: the chocolate chips give it that sweet, indulgent factor
Look at all that color
12 slices: nutrition per slice: 229 calories; 9 g fat ( 2 g sat , 5 g mono ); 32 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 16 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Cost: about $4 if you have most ingredients at home. I got the zucchini for free and had chocolate chips in the freezer (such a yummy snack)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the ups, friend! I'm definitely going to try this recipe next time. Pretty sure whatever I made last wouldn't be found in "Eating Well." More like "Paula Deen's Diabetes No-Nos." Y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dia-dia-dia-diabetes. It's quite good and doesn't taste too whole-wheaty ( I think it's because of those chocolate chips).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this TWICE now...yummy! I added dried cranberries/raisins/nuts instead of chocolate chips (because that's what I had on hand) and sprinkled some coconut on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh nice call Molls. I love craisins in cookies and breads. I'll do that next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete