8.23.2012

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake

For my birthday, my darling friend ReRe brought me some goodies from her garden including: tomatoes, poblano peppers, banana peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, and swiss chard. So from these veggies, I choose to cook up some of the zucchini. I mean, c'mon, look at the size of this thing:

Thanks ReRe-- I stole this from your facebook :)
Anywho-- onward to the recipe: Easy Cheesey Zucchini Bake. This comes from another recipe by Penzey's via Karen Niessing. They sure are good. I LOVED this recipe. I don't really bother posting anything I don't care for or didn't turn out right (believe me, there are many), but this one is awesome. Low calorie and so so so yummy.  If I hadn't already filled up on moose steak, then I would've had seconds. There's always tomorrow. Am I the only one who loves leftovers?

Prep time: 10 min; cook time: 45 min-- about one hour total

Needs:
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges (I used cherry tomatoes from Re's garden-- no peeling necessary)
2 small zucchini, sliced (or a quarter of a giant one the size of a baby)-- surprisingly still edible
2 small yellow summer squash, sliced (didn't have and used extra zukes)
1/2 t thyme
1 t basil (I used fresh, much better)
1 t granulated garlic powder
1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c grated parmesan
1/3 c dry break crumbs (I used kellogg's cereal- way less chemicals/additives)
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)

Doing:
Preheat oven to 350
In a 1.5-2 qt. baking dish, combine tomatoes, zucchini, squash, spices/herbs, and cheddar cheese
Top with parmesan and bread crumbs
Bake for 45 minutes, until veggies are tender
Top with mozzarella if you desire, I used 1/4 c to save on some cals. Just sprinkle on top and let melt.

Nutrition: 4 servings (serving size about 1 cup)
Calories 160 (from fat 25)
Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 580 mg
Carbohydrate 18g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Protein 16g
bad pic :(
Cost: tomatoes and zucchini (free), cheeses ($2), crumbs and spices ($1 maybe). This probably cost me $3 and I have 3 more servings. For about a buck a serving, one can't go wrong. Otherwise, purchasing these other items might include up to $6? Not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment