8.24.2012

Youth Novel Review

This month I read two young adult novels-- one good, one not so good.

First up: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Source
First off, I took a pledge to read books before I see the movies. And... you should too: Read It First. This book is coming out in 2013 and I've heard that it's an amazing YA novel. There are definitely mixed reviews, but I'm all in support of this book. It's about a young girl who commits suicide and leaves behind a trail of audio tapes. We see the story through two people's eyes: the deceased girl (Hannah) and Clay (a classmate and friend). He receives the tapes and we hear all of the events and the things people do to Hannah to push her to suicide.

Now, some argue that the plot is unbelievable. These things would really cause a girl to kill herself? And I say, you never know what goes on in someone's head. Bullying and teasing happened to me as a kid and I'm sure you too. It probably happened to most. When the bullying happens, our personalities take over. It affects some and not others. When my 5th grade boy classmates (and brothers) teased me for wearing men's jeans and slicking back my ponytail with a sweet, and I repeat, sweet No Fear hat, I did as Jay Z told me to. I went ahead and got that dirt of my shoulders, I surely brushed them off (Thanks JayZ; I owe you one). So what sent Hannah Baker over the edge may not have sent others. Who are we to judge? Well, I guess a reading audience, but characters become more than characters to me while I'm reading. I thought the book was so great I ordered it for my freshmen this year.

It will take you a day to read this and you won't want to put it down. Plus, it brings up everything you may come across in high school: depression, bullying, partying, school, teachers, etc. It's the perfect high school read. Also, now I can go see the movie in 2013.

Next: Fade by Lisa McMann
Source
This is another young adult novel. My colleague once told me she read somewhere that "adults should read more young adult novels and vice versa" (Source). And to an extent, I agree. Sometimes we forget what it was like to be 16 or 17 years old. How dramatic it REALLY was when a boyfriend dumped you. It felt like life was actually over and no one would love you the same. I mean c'mon. You have to be understanding. Also, between coaching, teaching, reading endless essays, planning, cleaning, cooking, and yearbooking, who has time to read heavy material? Hunger Games please.

Anyway, this book is first in a trilogy. I do not read a series of books, ever. I've tried and just can't do it. Twilight, read 1-3. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, read 1-2. Hunger Games, just one. I. Just. Can't. Do. It. (**coughs 50 Shades of Grey 1-2** cough)

Back on track, Wake is about a young girl named Janie who can enter others' dreams. Now, I just really like this idea; it was really intriguing. When people near her fall asleep, she joins their dream which dominates her life. She can't sleep when she's in another's dream. The story and idea are good. However, the writing is terrible. The story is told in 3rd person present tense, which makes it feel completely summarized or something causing the reader to have a distance from the characters since it's some omniscient God-like creature narrating. Odd. In addition to the narration, the sentences are so choppy. Really choppy. One word. Maybe Two. See? It's strange.

I think my students may like this more since they are not necessarily a critical audience, some are, but not most. They may like the teen romance, the mystery, and the fantasy-like qualities. There are unnecessary cussing interjections as well. A simple and believable "oh crap" would be more suitable then some kid screaming "oh F&^%#!" Sometimes the reactions characters had were also unrealistic. This book took about three days for me to read. Not because it was difficult, but I got so mad at McMann for her writing style; it kept me apart from the characters and getting emotionally involved. Disappointment. If you want to read, please don't buy and just ask for my copy. It's in my classroom library. Also, if any of you darling readers want to donate any old/used books to my library, I'll give you a big hug or kiss or air high five or make cookies. :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment