8.27.2012

Monday Marinara and Meatballs

I have FINALLY created a marinara sauce that I can make and continue to make that was delicious...and quite simple. Since I spent my morning on Pinterest, I had a tasty meatball recipe to join. The best part is, I didn't have to go to the store for anything. Yay! Also, some of the spices/herbs is about since I don't measure a lot.

I made the meatballs first and while they cooked, I whipped up the sauce.


Meatballs: (Thanks to Pinterest via Bonnie Leino)
1 lb. burger (I used ground sirloin)
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk (whisked with the eggs)
1/2 c. Parmesan, grated
1 c.  Kellogg's bread crumbs
1 small onion
2 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. oregano
1 t. salt 
pepper
1/4 c. fresh basil
Mix all ingredients together and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Mold into golf-ball sizes.

Fresh out of the oven

Marinara:

2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
4 cloves garlic
1/2 medium onion
2 T olive oil
1 T. sugar
1 T. parsley
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. oregano
1/4 t. basil (If I had fresh, I would've loved to use it. I blame the meatballs)
pepper
1/8 c. parmesan
Bubble Bubble Bubble

Heat oil and saute onion and garlic.
While sauteing, add other ingredients in a blender (or food processor, mine was too small)
Add sauteed onions and garlic to blender mixture
Blend
Heat on stove for 15-20 minutes, add 1/8 c. parmesan
Once the meatballs were done, I added them to the sauce and let it simmer for 10 minutes for a little added flavor.

Mr. X really liked this sauce and I froze the remainder for a busy weeknight meal now that school is beginning for me on Wednesday. I was able to fill a quart and a half bag of sauce.
This was quite cheap, except for the sirloin that was about 4 dollars.

Buon appetito! Look, Mr. X's hand
And best of all? A cold glass of Vanilla Almond Milk to wash it down. Or as Mr. X calls it, almond juice since almonds don't have teets.

No comments:

Post a Comment