8.30.2012

Garden Pasta Salad with Bocconcini

I have a few moments to sneak in a quick blog post, so I thought tonight's dish would be perfect. Since this is our first week back to school (for teachers), students, we'll see you next week, we are having a meet and greet for new staff. It's potluck and I figured I'd like to try this recipe from Food Network Magazine. As you know by now, these recipes are rarely followed exactly, so there are some modifications.

Dressing:
1 clove garlic (I used 2)
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (I used one garden tomato)
3 T red wine vinegar
1/4 c fresh basil
1/3 c extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
(I also added a little garlic salt)

** Begin boiling pasta before starting sauce
1. Boil garlic in a small sauce pan for 2 minutes (I sauteed instead)
2. Add garlic to the blender with cherry tomatoes, vinegar and basil-- puree until smooth
3. With motor running, slowly add oil
4. Season with s&p

Salad
salt&pepper
8 oz. campanelle or fusilli (4 cups) ( I used radiatore)
1 small zucchini ( I used garden cucumber)
1.5 c. halved cherry tomatoes
1 c. halved bocconcini-- mozzarella balls (I cut up fresh mozzarella)
1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds (I used salted/roasted almonds and chopped)
1/2 c. fresh basil thinly sliced

1. Cook pasta until al dente, strain, and rinse.
2. Add sauce to pasta
3. Shave zucchini into strips (I just thinly sliced cukes and quartered) and add to salad
4. Add tomatoes, mozzarella, nuts, basil, and toss
5. Add s & p and serve immediately or refrigerate up to 6 hours (I don't know what happens after that).
*Bring to room temp. first before serving.

Color's a little off, but the dressing is a beautiful red. This is straight up Italy.



No comments:

Post a Comment