8.10.2012

Sausage and Polenta "Lasagna"

It felt like fall this week because it has been in the 70s and a little rainy so I wanted to make something warm and cozy. I adapted this from Food Network's One-skillet Sausage and Polenta Parmesan. I didn't like that they used processed polenta so I began my own take on this. Now, I've never made polenta before because it reminds me of the word placenta, which is just plain too much for me to handle. However, I'm trying to get over my fear of birds, so why not try polenta?

What 'cha need:
1 c. Bob Mill's polenta (makes 4 servings)
3 c. water
pinch salt for water
1.5 T butter
_
1 T. olive oil
8 oz. mild italian sausage (I would love to use spicy)
4-5 oz. mushrooms sliced
3 cloves garlic chopped
14 oz can diced tomatoes (I didn't have fresh)
1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 c. onion chopped
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
dash of sugar
1 tsp. basil
salt
pepper
1 T. chopped fresh parsley (which I forgot to use)
4 oz. shredded mozzarella
2 T. shredded parmesan cheese

1. Begin by making the polenta and following the directions on the package (Boil water, mix in polenta and frequently stir for 30 min. Set in an oiled dish for 10 min. Invert and slice)
2. Heat oil on med., fry polenta until golden brown about 3 min. each side. Transfer to a plate. (Could probably skip this step)
3. Brown the sausage for 3 min, add mushrooms and brown for 3 min., add 2 cloves of garlic and saute one min.
4. Add diced tomatoes and bring to a boil and let thicken/simmer for 5 minutes on low.
5. While simmering, saute one garlic clove and 1/4 c. onion in another pan (oh the dishes!). Add tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, sugar, basil, s&p- let simmer for 10 min. ( or skip this step if you have a spaghetti sauce already frozen/made)
6. Place sliced polenta on mushroom/sausage mixture
7. Pour "spaghetti" sauce over polenta, add cheeses, and parsley.
8. Broil 3-5 min, until bubbly and delish.

Cost: about 7-8 dollars, depending on what you have for spices

Enjoy. Serves 4 ( I didn't calculate calories)

creamy, delicious

Cheese close up








No comments:

Post a Comment